Welcome to Havering Sports Council, our aim is to promote and encourage sporting activity throughout the borough by representing all our affiliated members. All sporting organisations and individuals are welcome to become members and attend our monthly meetings held at Romford Town Hall on the 4th Tuesday of each month (except for Aug & Dec).
London Athletics are pleased to announce a series of 3 grass roots disability athletics competitions that England Athletics in London are running and supporting. All events will be closely aligned to the work that we do on the Run! project and aim to provide direct exit routes into further participation opportunities for participants. All 3 are pan London.
1) 5th June @ McMillan Stadium in Newham = EFDS Typhoo regional championships (Pan disability linked to the EFDS criteria)
2) 5th June @ McMillan Stadium in Newham = Special Olympics GB open competition (Learning disability specific open to registered SOGB members and guests)
3) 7th August @ Mile End Stadium in Tower Hamlets = Special Olympics GB open competition and London Athletics Community Games (Learning disability specific open to registered SOGB members and guests as well as other open relay events).
Online entry is now open for the June event. Further information, entry packs and relevant documents are available on our website…. www.londonathletics.org/disability-competitions-2016 .
Information on forthcoming events and results of past events as reported at the April meeting
Havering Tri The Club will be running the Longest Day Durathlon at the Velodrome on 21st June as part of the British Triathlon - The club now has 2 level 2 tri coaches and 6 level 1 tri coaches
- The club has 92 members with 12 new members this year.
- The club is hoping that the Mayor will be able to accept their request to come to Upminster Windmill for the start the London to Paris race on 1st July in aid of St Francis Hospice.
- 21st August Aquathlon 14-16 years to be included
- New club kit launched sponsored by VO2 - 2-3 requests per week are being received for Learn to Swim courses.
- Construction of the new leisure centre in Romford is underway
- Work at the Broxhill centre is due to finish in late summer
Havering-atte-Bower Cricket Club
1st event of the season – the Andrew Dent memorial match – was rained off on 16th April and will take place on 3rd July.
- The Quiz Night on 16th April took place and was very successful.
At last night's AGM (Monday 9th May)in Harold Wood Sports Pavilion members present voted unanimously to wind-up Romford Referees'Society.
The decision was taken owing to falling attendances over the past 2 seasons, plus a major change in recruitment methods resulting in new candidates no longer required to receive instruction and qualification at their local Societies.
All current Officers & Committee are to remain in their posts for the few weeks necessary to dispose of Society assests and fulfil administrative requirements associated with closure. Romford Referees' Society was founded in 1946 and during its time saw a number of members reach Football League level as both referees and linesmen. Without doubt its most famous member was the late Ken Aston JP; who refereed the infamous 1962 World Cup "Battle of Santiago" between hosts Chile and Italy and a 1963 FA Cup Final between Leicester City & Manchester United at Wembley Stadium - but still best remembered for introducing those ubiquitious red and yellow cards in 1966, the same year as he introdued substitute referees (now known as 4th officials).
Next Sports Council Meeting
Tuesday 24th May at the Town Hall
8.00 p.m. - 10.00 p.m.
ROMFORD REFEREES SOCIETY
It is with regret that we have just learnt that the Romford Referees Society has called it a day due to finance and high room charges in the borough.
Romford Referees had been a long standing member of the Sports Council and we wish all their members success in the future
Everyone Active are looking for talented young athletes to sponsor for ‘Sporting Champions’ campaign
Talented young sports men and women in Havering have a unique opportunity to gain sponsorship from Everyone Active as part of its ‘Sporting Champions’ talented young athlete scheme. Everyone Active operates Central Park Leisure Centre, Hornchurch Sports Centre and Chafford Sports Complex in partnership with Havering Council, and is reaching out to potential local sports stars in the run up to the Olympics.
More information in this document
New Clubs Affiliating to the Sports Council
We welcome another clubs to be affiliated to the Sports Council:
Tweedway 50+ Sport Club
Eagles Badminton Club
Elite Colts Football Club